• CD Title: 80 Years
• Artist(s): London Jewish Male Choir
• CD Code: EUCD2015
• Tracks: 20
• Playing Time: 75:15 min
• Booklet Info in: English, German, Spanish, French
One of the most famous Jewish Choirs, the London Jewish Male Choir is celebrating its 80th anniversary! A cross-section of 80 years of singing, with some rare historic recordings as well as modern repertoire. The pieces selected show the character and reflect the diverse nature of the LJMC's repertoire, soloists, conductors, accompanists and musical styles.
Featuring famous cantors David Kusevitsky, Naftali Herstik, Steven Leas, Stephen Robins, Robert Brody, Pinchas Faigenblum, Moshe Korn and David Hilton. Extensive Booklet info.
The London Jewish Male Choir was founded in 1926 by Isadore R Berman, who was a highly regarded musician in the Jewish community. Before founding the choir, Berman had written several arrangements of Yiddish music which were published in 1910 and he was at one time musical director of the Pavilion Theatre in Whitechapel, which, prior to its closure in 1935, was one of the world's major centres of Yiddish culture.
Many of the eighteen men who formed the original choir were singers in London's many synagogue choirs. The repertoire was mostly liturgical and Yiddish folk music, much of it arranged for the choir by Berman.
Today the choir includes some of London's top cantors, including Steven Leas and Stephen Robins, both of whom appear on this collection. While the LJMC has its roots firmly in the past, it embraces the future with enthusiasm.
19th January 1950
London Jewish Male Choir with Moshe Oysher
1. Shehechianu (Meyer Machtenberg, arr. Charles Heller / Stephen Glass) - 2:58
2. Ba'avour David (David Roitman / Jospeh Rumshinsky, arr. Martin White) - 5:23
3. Hava Nagila (trad., arr. Maurice Goldstein) - 1:59
4. Sefirat Ha'omer (Samuel Alman, arr. Stephen Glass) - 5:46
5. Yismechu (trad., arr. Stephen Glass) - 2:50
6. As Moshiach Vet Kuman (When the Messiah comes) (trad., arr. Isadore R. Berman) - 3:52
7. Der Rebbe Elimelech (The Rabbi Elimelech) (trad.) - 2:15
8. Umipneh Chatoenu (Brun) - 6:11
9. A Dudele (A song) - 3:36
10. Hatikvah (arr. Isadore R. Berman / Norman Richardson) - 3:20
11. Der Yid der Schmid (The Jewish Blacksmith) (music: Vladimir Heifetz / lyrics: Wolf Younin) - 2:04
12. Hurrah (trad.) - 1:42
13. Shuvi Nafshi (Lewis Lewandowski) - 2:37
14. Havdalah (trad.) - 4:47
15. Osseh Shalom (He who makes peace) (Nurit Hirsch, arr. Emmanuel Fisher) - 2:48
16. Psalm 23 (Franz Schubert) - 4:47
17. Yiru Enainu (Shalom Secunda, arr. Emmanuel Fisher) - 6:18
18. Shomeir Yisroel (Guardian of Israel) (Samual Alman) - 4:25
19. Al Sfat Yam Kinneret (trad., arr. F. Gimchi) - 2:17
20. Artseinu (trad., arr. Emmanuel Fisher / lyrics: Philip Stockman) - 4:19